Delaware Business Opportunities
A Quick Glance at Delaware
Delaware, whose nickname is The First State, first obtained its statehood in 1787. With a population of 925,749 people, Delaware is the forty-fifth most populated state in the United States.
If you are considering starting your new business in Delaware, you might want to look into one of Delaware's top three most populous cities - Wilmington, Dover (which is also the state's capital) or Newark.
The largest industry in the state of Delaware is insurance carriers and related activities.
- The gross domestic product (GDP), of this industry, is roughly $7.3 billion and accounts for 11% of Delaware's GDP.
- Insurance carriers and related activities also employs 1.3% of Delaware's private workforce.
In the United States, the more than 600,000 plus franchised small busineeses account for 40% of all retail sales and provide jobs for some 8 million people. According to the Small Business Administration (SBA), their standard definition of what constitutes as a small business includes a maximum of 500 employees or operations with and/or up to $7 million in revenue, depending on the industry.
- There are 176,837 small businesses, in the state, of Delaware.
- Small businesses in Delaware, make up 37.1% of the state's private workforce.
State and Local Taxes
Listed below are the state and local taxes, for the state of Delaware, and how they rank against other states in the U.S.
|State Tax Rate||Avg. Local Tax Rate||Combined Rate||Combined Rank*||Max Local Tax Rate|
|*Combined Rank is rank from highest to lowest tax percentage|
California has the highest state tax rate in the United States at 7.25%, but Lousinana has the highest combined tax rate, overall, at 9.98%. Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon share the spot for lowest combined tax rates at 0%.
If you need additional information about how to start a business in Delaware, their official state page might be a good place to start. If you are looking to own your own established franchise in Delaware, we have collected a comprehensive list of companies that are actively looking to expand in Delaware, for you to explore.
- By User:Dough4872 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0
- Comparison between U.S. states and countries by GDP (nominal) from Wikipedia
- Largest Industry in Each State from 24/7 Wall St.
- 2017 Small Business Profiles for the States and Territories from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Small Business Trends from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Civilian Labor Force and Unemployment by State from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2017 from the Tax Foundation
City and County Level
- Bethany Beach
- Delaware City
- Dewey Beach
- Fenwick Island
- Kent County
- New Castle
- New Castle County
- Ocean View
- Rehoboth Beach
- South Bethany
- Sussex County