Mississippi Business Opportunities
A Quick Glance at Mississippi
Mississippi, whose nickname is The Magnolia State, first obtained its statehood in 1817. With a population of 2,991,207 people, Mississippi is the thirty-first most populated state in the United States.
If you are considering starting your new business in Mississippi, you might want to look into one of Mississippi's top three most populous cities - Jackson (which is also the state's capital), Gulfport or Biloxi.
The largest industry in the state of Mississippi is ambulatory health care services.
- The gross domestic product (GDP), of this industry, is roughly $3.9 billion and accounts for 3.6% of Mississippi's GDP.
- Ambulatory health care services also employs 3.6% of Mississippi's private workforce.
In the United States, the more than 600,000 plus franchised small busineeses account for 40% of all retail sales and provide jobs for some 8 million people. According to the Small Business Administration (SBA), their standard definition of what constitutes as a small business includes a maximum of 500 employees or operations with and/or up to $7 million in revenue, depending on the industry.
- There are 432,231 small businesses, in the state, of Mississippi.
- Small businesses in Mississippi, make up 33.2% of the state's private workforce.
State and Local Taxes
Listed below are the state and local taxes, for the state of Mississippi, and how they rank against other states in the U.S.
|State Tax Rate||Avg. Local Tax Rate||Combined Rate||Combined Rank*||Max Local Tax Rate|
|*Combined Rank is rank from highest to lowest tax percentage|
California has the highest state tax rate in the United States at 7.25%, but Lousinana has the highest combined tax rate, overall, at 9.98%. Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon share the spot for lowest combined tax rates at 0%.
If you need additional information about how to start a business in Mississippi, their official state page might be a good place to start. If you are looking to own your own established franchise in Mississippi, we have collected a comprehensive list of companies that are actively looking to expand in Mississippi, for you to explore.
- By Eskimo.the - My personal camera, CC BY 3.0
- Comparison between U.S. states and countries by GDP (nominal) from Wikipedia
- Largest Industry in Each State from 24/7 Wall St.
- 2017 Small Business Profiles for the States and Territories from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Small Business Trends from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Civilian Labor Force and Unemployment by State from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2017 from the Tax Foundation
City and County Level
- Bay Saint Louis
- Bolivar County
- Chickasaw County
- DeSoto County
- Forrest County
- Harrison County
- Hinds County
- Jackson County
- Lamar County
- Lauderdale County
- Long Beach
- Madison County
- Monroe County
- Ocean Springs
- Olive Branch
- Pass Christian
- Pearl River County
- Pike County
- Rankin County
- Tunica County
- Walnut Grove
- Wayne County
- West Point