Montana Business Opportunities
A Quick Glance at Montana
Montana, whose nickname is The Treasure State, first obtained its statehood in 1889. With a population of 1,015,165 people, Montana is the forty-forth most populated state in the United States.
If you are considering starting your new business in Montana, you might want to look into one of Montana's top three most populous cities - Billings, Missoula or Great Falls and also in the state's capital of Helena.
The largest industry in the state of Montana is hospitals and nursing and residential care facilities.
- The gross domestic product (GDP), of this industry, is roughly $1.9 billion and accounts for 4.2% of Montana's GDP.
- Hospitals and nursing and residential care facilities also employs 6.7% of Montana's private workforce.
In the United States, the more than 600,000 plus franchised small busineeses account for 40% of all retail sales and provide jobs for some 8 million people. According to the Small Business Administration (SBA), their standard definition of what constitutes as a small business includes a maximum of 500 employees or operations with and/or up to $7 million in revenue, depending on the industry.
- There are 239,910 small businesses, in the state, of Montana.
- Small businesses in Montana, make up 45.7% of the state's private workforce.
State and Local Taxes
Listed below are the state and local taxes, for the state of Montana, and how they rank against other states in the U.S.
|State Tax Rate||Avg. Local Tax Rate||Combined Rate||Combined Rank*||Max Local Tax Rate|
|*Combined Rank is rank from highest to lowest tax percentage|
California has the highest state tax rate in the United States at 7.25%, but Lousinana has the highest combined tax rate, overall, at 9.98%. Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon share the spot for lowest combined tax rates at 0%.
If you need additional information about how to start a business in Montana, their official state page might be a good place to start. If you are looking to own your own established franchise in Montana, we have collected a comprehensive list of companies that are actively looking to expand in Montana, for you to explore.
- By Unknown, Public Domain
- Comparison between U.S. states and countries by GDP (nominal) from Wikipedia
- Largest Industry in Each State from 24/7 Wall St.
- 2017 Small Business Profiles for the States and Territories from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Small Business Trends from the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Civilian Labor Force and Unemployment by State from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- State and Local Sales Tax Rates in 2017 from the Tax Foundation
City and County Level
- Cascade County
- Chouteau County
- Deer Lodge County
- Fergus County
- Flathead County
- Gallatin County
- Great Falls
- Hill County
- Jefferson County
- Lake County
- Lewis and Clark County
- Lincoln County
- Mineral County
- Missoula County
- Park County
- Pondera County
- Ravalli County
- Richland County
- Sanders County
- Sheridan County
- Yellowstone County